Moving data between applications
- How to freeze column or row headers in Excel (or other spreadsheets)
- How to customise the ribbon buttons in Excel (or other Office software)
- Excel keyboard shortcuts
- How to annotate your slides using the Powerpoint pen
- How to enter mathematical formalism by handwriting
- Make PowerPoint bullet points appear one at a time
- Video case study: Producing teaching material in PowerPoint (covers adding mathematical content, embedding video in PowerPoint, and recording presentations as videos)
- Video case study: Recording lectures with annotations (using a tablet input device, screen capture software and OneNote)
- Link a button on a PowerPoint slide to another slide (for non-linear presentations)
- PowerPoint keyboard shortcuts
Virtual Learning Environments
- Controlling the release of materials in VLEs (e.g. making access to lecture notes conditional on completing a task)
- How to combine multiple sources (cameras, microphones, slides, software) in one video stream with OBS Studio
- How to run an online class or virtual office hour in Blackboard Collaborate
- See also our much longer advice sheet on distance and online learning
Other platforms for authoring content
- Signing up for GitHub / Getting started with GitHub Desktop
GitHub is a collaboration and versioning platform, sharing code or text where it can be viewed online and improved and repurposed by others. It can even be used to create a free website. With a free application you can synchronise files between your own computer and a repository on GitHub.
- "Getting started with GitHub" (8 minute video) published 2020 by Anson Alexander
- Economics with Jupyter Notebooks
Notebooks are web pages made of text and code "cells" which can perform live calculations and graphing in a variety of programming languages. They can be used to illustrate the process of reading, processing, and visualising data. This article introduces the concept and points to free services that host notebooks.
- Overview of Storyline 360 (18 minute video)
Storyline is a paid platform for creating online courses, which can include text, animations, questions, and media files.
Xerte Online Toolkits
- Xerte basics
Xerte is a free platform for authoring educational content in a form that is accessible and can be distributed in a variety of ways. See Embedding Asynchronous Lectures into Platforms.