The twelfth DEE conference took place in person at the James Watt 2 Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh on the 4th and 5th of September 2023.
Programme and keynote speaker
Slides, extended abstracts, and other materials from the sessions are being added to this index.
There were three types of session:
- Papers - presentations of research and novel teaching methods
- Workshops - to share innovative teaching methods in an interactive environment
- Panel sessions - to share multiple perspectives on a topical issue
The keynote speaker was Professor Gail Hoyt of the University of Kentucky.
Early and mid-career mentoring scheme
At 3.15-4pm on Tuesday 5 September we ran a short session to discuss plans for an Economics Network mentoring scheme for early and mid-career colleagues.
IREE Special Issue
The journal IREE (International Review of Economics Education) will publish a special issue related to the conference. There is no theme for this issue so we welcome all submissions from the conference. The submission deadline was 30 September 2023.
Karishma Patel of Aston University interviewed many conference participants to make two special episodes for the Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship podcast:
Part 1, interviewing Dimitra Petropoulou, Tisha Emerson, Fabio Arico, Ritchie Woodard, John Sloman, Maria Psyllou, Jon Guest, and Robert Riegler
Part 2, interviewing Caroline Elliott, Gail Hoyt, Parama Chaudhury, Steven Proud, Matt Olczak, Chris Wilson, Jana Sadeh, and Ashley Lait
Travel, venue facilities, and safety
Directions to the campus by public transport or car are available here. Parking is available at car parks A, J or H.
Of those who filled in an evaluation form at DEE 2021:
- 95% rated the conference as "Good" or "Excellent";
- 95% would recommend the DEE conference to a colleague.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone interested in teaching economics at HE level (whether to economics or other students), especially:
- Lecturers in higher and further education
- Graduate teaching assistants
- Library and information staff
- Teaching support staff
- Staff developers