Economics as a piece of Journalism: Questionnaire breakdown
This is an appendix to the Follow up to "Students' assignment as a piece of economics journalism"
Questionnaire 1 – 29 respondents
|The instructions were
|The regulations were
to it very much
forward to it
"Very much looking forward" or "looking forward to it" comments…
- You are classified as a “freelance” writer – can create a new profile that is close to those of the economist, without having to copy them
- I am quite interested in this topic
- Good choice of topic – v. interesting
- Topic seems challenging but I feel that I could do well.
- Because it sounds interesting
- To write as an amateur reporter of Economist
- I really don’t want to fail this module again!!!
- It sounds interesting (as if you can go deeply into it)
- It is a subject I don’t know much about, so it will allow me to collect information about it.
- Original assignment, open for creativity
- General interest in the issue
- This is the real case study of international trade
- Looks really fun
- Cos I love assignments
- It looks really fun
- Because its all so fascinating!
- Topical, up to date, real world example
- Trying to fit it in with the other four assignments
- Not area I am particularly good at but I think it’s an interesting angle to approach ie article style
- A new subject area for me but I think researching for it will be informative and practical.
- Writing in the manner of an economist article may not be easy for me
- No comment
"Not looking forward to it" comments:
- Economics is not my strong point
- It is not a subject I have done before or one that I know a lot about
- I have no knowledge of the steel industry – however I like the ida of doing the assignment in the form of a newspaper article
- A “refresher” time to brush up on lst year economics at the same time as researching the topic
- Economics is not my strong point and time is limited this term
- Also deals with a dispute – fights are always more interesting
- I was pleased that there were a lot of resources mentioned to help us with the coursework.
- I know people who are involved in the steel industry so the subject is close to the heart as one says.
- The reading list of the assignment is relatively long.
The one student who had not read the assignment did not give a reason why.
Questionnaire 2 – 37 respondents
|I found the
|Not very easy
|I found the
|Really not interesting
|I found the
|Not at all challenging
|I found the
to my course
|Not at all relevant
"I would be interested in doing assignments like this on other modules" – 28 yes, 8 no.
- Too much background reading took far longer than anticipated – it took far too much of the time allowed for the project.
- It was difficult and more time consuming than I had expected
- Too broad, lot of information and hard to work out what should include. Hard to work out form – how academic and unsure of theory. But good to get us reading, practice researching and gave a new perspective – not stuffy theoretical writing.
- It was a bit confusing – too many things that were not very clear. It was not easy. (This student said the instructions were hard to follow)
- It was a bit confusing but very interesting. (similarly instructions hard to follow)
- Too few words for subject – impossible to cover all points
- I think some information on formatting of the assignment would have been valuable as well as some instructions on style.
- Research could have been done on my own (not with a given list)
- Found it difficult to apply theory
- I liked Economist style aspect of this assignment – made it more interesting
- It is nice to have topical subject to do it on but I spent more time worrying about style than content
- It was very interesting but there was so much information it was difficult to keep to the word limit. It covered a wide range of areas all in one coursework.
- Too much news to follow with a lot of related areas