3. Factors to Consider when Developing a Research Intensive Experience for Undergraduates
The guidance that is provided to students is crucial for the effectiveness of an undergraduate research programme. A first step is to agree upon a common strategy across the faculty. Explicit choices must be made regarding:
- the form of research process to be encouraged,
- the degree to which students are free to select the research topic,
- project formats that will be acceptable,
- level of guidance that will be provided, and
- skills the project is designed to enhance.